The eating qualities of king george whiting can be greatly improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime , a firm knock to the head, or by cervical dislocation (breaking the neck), before being placed in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- These fish are pale golden brown above, whitish or silvery below. Their upper sides have numerous dark brown spots in several rows.
- They reach sexual maturity at 3 to 4 years old at which time the male fish measure 28-32 cm and the females 34-38 cm. Maximum age around 15 years.
- This species is endemic to the southern half of Australia from Sydney (NSW) to Jurien Bay (WA), including Tasmania.
- They frequent bays, estuaries and coastal areas in habitats in depths of 2 to 200 meters.
- Juveniles are abundant in shallow seagrass beds in bays and estuaries, but they move offshore as they mature and adults prefer deeper channels and gutters.
Fish Size Common Length:
25-45 cm, maximum size around 72 cm and 4 kg.