The eating qualities of WA dhufish and related species such as pearl perch can be improved if they are killed humanely by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- This species is silvery with several bronze/brown longitudinal lines along the flanks and one dark vertical band through the eye. The lines and bands may disappear in large adult fish.
- A slow growing, long lived species, size at first maturity around 50 cm (around 8-10 years old).
- This species is endemic to the subtropical and temperate coastal waters of Western Australia, from Esperance to Beagle Island.
- Adults can be found at depths over 200 meters, particularly over reefs, wrecks and underwater caverns.
- Juveniles tend to remain in shallower water than adults and are rarely found in waters more than 100 m deep.
Fish Size Common Length:
30-80 cm, maximum size around 120 cm and 26 kg.