The eating qualities of golden trevally can be greatly improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Juveniles and young adults bright yellow-gold with a number of prominent black vertical stripes.
- Large adults become a more uniform silver gold with occasional black spots or blotches along the flanks.
- This species grows to around 28 cm in their first year, 40 cm in 2 years and matures in 3rd or 4th year at 50-60 cm. Maximum life span around 20 years.
- This species may have unusual cavities in the swimbladder that can extend into the flesh. These in no way affect the eating qualities of the affected fillet.
- This species can be found throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific region from East Africa to the Pacific coast of central America.
- Adult fish inhabit sandy beaches and coral reef lagoons, while juveniles occur in sandy estuaries and are commonly encountered schooling in front of large fishes, sharks and rays.
Fish Size Common Length:
40-80 cm, maximum size around 120 cm and 15 kg.