Beware of the sharp scutes on the tail when handling bluefin trevally. The eating qualities of these fish can be greatly improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Dorsal, anal and tail fins electric blue in colour in adult fish. Body covered with mottled blue specks.
- A fast growing, species, bluefin trevally mature in 2 years at around 35-40 cm long and 1.2 kg, while 75 cm fish around 10 kg have been aged at 7 years old.
- Bluefin trevally eat mainly smaller fish, and occasionally shrimp and crabs.
- Larger specimens can be ciguatoxic in some areas of their range.
- This species can be found throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific region as far east as Mexico and Panama and as far west as East Africa.
- They inhabit reef flats and reef edges around coral or rocky reefs.
Fish Size Common Length:
45-60 cm, maximum size around 120 cm and 20 kg.