The eating qualities of all species of squid can be improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime or cervical dislocation (breaking the neck) before placing them in an ice slurry.
- This species can vary its colour from even orange-brown, to white with black bands, to almost transparent.
- They have diamond-shaped fins that extend the whole length of the body, widest mid-way along the body.
- If threatened or disturbed, the squid can change colour and expel a blob of black ink, which acts as a decoy while the animal escapes using jet propulsion.
- Females lay their eggs in clumps of finger-like egg strings (2-6 eggs) at the bases of weed and seagrass.
- This species is found throughout Australias coastal waters from the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef around to Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia. Its also found in the North Island of New Zealand.
- Southern calamari are common over reefs, sand and seagrass beds in shallow, inshore waters to depths of around 10 meters.
Fish Size Common Length:
20-30 cm mantle length, maximum around 50 cm mantle length.