The eating qualities of these fish is greatly improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Petrale sole are a right eyed flatfish, meaning that they have both eyes on the right side of the body - when viewed with their dorsal fin on top their head points to the right.
- This species has an oval to football shaped body. The upper side is uniformly light to dark brown while the underside is typically white, sometimes with a trace of pink. The tail fin is longest in the middle and slightly indented near the edges.
- If you look closely you can see the dorsal surface of the specimen in the photograph here was infected by the ectoparasitic copepod Lepeophtheirus parviventris and a branchiurid (possibly Argulus sp.).
- This species ranges from the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands through the Gulf of Alaska to Mexico.
- It is most commonly found on sand and mud bottoms from 65 to 1,800 feet deep.
Fish Size Common Length:
Commonly 12-20 inches. Maximum size up to 28 inches long and 8 pounds.