Beware of the sharp gill covers and dorsal spines of rockfish when handling them. Most species of rockfish have similar brain locations and all can be very tolerant of air exposure. They should be killed humanely by iki jime, or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Yellowtailed rockfish have an olive greenish colouration with brown freckles and yellowish tinges to the tail, pectoral pelvic and anal fins.
- Morphological differences from other rockfish species include a more compressed body shape with a relatively long head and lower jaw.
- Juvenile and adult yellowtailed rockfish feed mainly on planktonic crustaceans and other fishes.
- Maximum age of this species exceeds 64 years.
- Yellowtailed rockfish occur on the west coast of the USA from California north to Canada and Alaska.
- Juveniles occur in shallower waters while adults occur mainly on the bottom on offshore rocky reefs at depths between 150 and 750 feet, though they have been encountered at depths of up to 1700 feet.
Fish Size Common Length:
Common between 12 and 15 inches. Maximum size around 26 inches .