Beware of the sharp dorsal and anal spines of spangled emperor when handling them. To maximise their eating qualities they should be killed humanely by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Colouration varies from mottled yellow-gold with bright blue streaks running down the head for fish caught during the day, to a pale yellow-white colour for fish caught at night.
- This species matures between 4 and 8 years old (30-45 cm long).
- Maximum age estimates for the species range up to 25 years.
- A large number of similar looking emperors occur in Australian waters. All are closely related and have similar brain locations.
- This species is found throughout the Indo-Pacific region, including around most of Australias coastline north of Sydney and Perth.
- Adult spangled emperor inhabit coastal and offshore reefs, where they are particularly common over coral rubble and sandy areas in coral reef lagoons.
- Juveniles can be found both in these places and also in inshore mangrove and seagrass nursery areas.
Fish Size Common Length:
30-60 cm, maximum size around 90 cm and 10 kg.