Beware of the sharp dorsal and anal spines of redspot emperor when handling them. To maximise their eating qualities they should be killed humanely by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Body olive-green above, pale below, with yellowish pectoral fins and a prominent red blotch at the rear edge of the operculum.
- They mature first as females at around 28-30 cm long.
- This is a slow growing long lived species, with 45-50 cm fish being aged to 19 years old.
- This species is widely distibuted throughout the tropical and subtropical parts of the Indo-West Pacific region, from the Red Sea , throughout SE Asia and east to Tonga.
- Juveniles less than about 20 cm long frequent shallow inshore waters near seagrass beds and rubble patches.
- As they grow and mature they leave these nursery areas and move into deeper waters.
Fish Size Common Length:
20-30 cm, maximum size around 52 cm.