Beware of the numerous small but sharp dorsal spines of dart when handling them. The eating qualities of these fish is greatly improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime, or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Laterally compressed diamond shaped body.
- Colouration light green/blue dorsally fading to silver along the sides.
- At least 3 species of dart occur in Australia , with only slight differences in their appearance (such as number, size and shape of the blotches along their sides).
- All species of dart have similar brain locations.
- Darts (Trachinotus spp.) can be encountered throughout the Indo-Pacific region including the tropical and subtropical waters of northern Australia.
- This particular species of dart is found along the surf beaches and headlands of Australias east coast from the southern Great Barrier Reef to southern NSW, including Lord Howe Island.
Fish Size Common Length:
20-40 cm, maximum size around 60 cm and 3 kg.