The eating qualities of crimson snapper can be greatly improved if they are killed humanely by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Uniform pink/red colouration with darker fins. This species has a relatively small mouth compared to other deepwater tropical snappers.
- Aging data suggest this species may be slow growing and long lived, 50 cm fish can be up to 40 years old.
- Crimson snapper forage mostly at night.
- This species occurs throughout the tropical Indo-West Pacific from the Gulf of Oman throughout Southeast Asia, north to southern Japan, and south to northern Australia.
- Adults inhabit deep offshore reefs, over rubble, corals, hard or sandy mud substrates.
Fish Size Common Length:
40-50 cm, maximum size around 80 cm and 6 kg.