Beware of the sharp gill covers and dorsal spines of breaksea cod when handling them. Most rock cods have similar brain locations and all can be very tolerant of air exposure. To maximise their eating qualities they should be killed humanely by iki jime, or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Colouration highly variable from reddish, pink, brown, green, grey or even yellow.
- Square tail and a large black blotch around the vent.
- This species matures at ages 3-4 at around 23-27 cm long (females) and 27-35 cm long (males).
- Maximum age for breaksea cod is around 20 years old.
- This species is endemic to temperate areas of Western Australia and occurs on offshore reefs from Recherche Archipelago to Shark Bay.
Fish Size Common Length:
30-40 cm, maximum length 56 cm, and weight 3 kg.