The eating qualities of these fish can be greatly improved if they are killed immediately by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- Blue Warehou are dark bluish-green above, with a silvery white underside, and a black spot by the pectoral fin.
- The pectoral fin is long and extends back to the start of the anal fin.
- This species occurs offshore on continental shelf and slope waters of the southwest Pacific region near Australia and New Zealand.
- In Australia this species occurs offshore from southern NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania.
- Adults fish have been reported from depths between 22 and 400 meters.
- Juveniles prefer shallower waters and sometimes enter estuaries.
Fish Size Common Length:
35-50 cm, maximum size around 80 cm and 5 kg.