The eating qualities of these fish can be improved by killing them humanely by iki jime or a firm knock to the head before placing them in an ice slurry after bleeding.
- A silver, laterally compressed species with a dark vertical band on the head through the eye and another through the operculum and base of the pectoral-fin.
- Pelvic fins are dusky brown/black with darker margins on the anal and caudal fins, while the dorsal fin has 9 spines.
- The vertical bands are obvious in juveniles and fade with growth.
- This species occurs throughout the tropical Indo- Pacific region from Indonesia to Japan, south to Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia and tropical Australia.
- This species frequents inshore structures and inshore reefs in muddy/silty areas at depths between 5 and 50 meters.
Fish Size Common Length:
Common between 20 and 35 cm, maximum size around 45 cm and 1.5 kg (3 pounds).